Mill Bay Nature School Kindergarten Registration Process
The Cowichan Valley School District’s Mill Bay Nature School is a program with no specific catchment areas. It is offered at Mill Bay Nature School.
KINDERGARTEN FAMILY INFORMATION EVENINGS
We will be hosting two Family Information Evenings for those families interested in beginning their child’s educational journey (ages 4/5) at Mill Bay Nature School starting September 2022.
These family information evenings will be held Thursday, January 13 and/or Thursday, January 20 from 6-7:30 (depending on registrations) – around the fire pit at the school. Masks are mandatory and to remember to dress for the weather! Other interested families or community members are welcome as well.
To register for these events, or to arrange an alternate to the in-person meeting, please contact email@example.com
If requested spaces for Mill Bay Nature school is over-subscribed, placement will be determined by lottery.
Assignment will be based on the following:
- Priority is granted to students who have an older brother or sister residing at the same address that attends the same school and is eligible to return in the next school year.
- Priority is also granted to any students with Indigenous ancestry (self-identified)
- Any remaining spaces will be assigned on a lottery basis to those in-district applicants who have submitted complete applications during the registration period.
- In-district students, who miss the registration dates, may still apply to the program, but will be placed at the end of the waitlist.
- Students who move into the district after the selection process is complete may still apply to the program, but will be placed at the end of the waitlist.
How does the lottery system work?
If applications exceed the number of available spaces a lottery system will be used in accordance with the district’s selection process set out below.
If required, available spaces will be allotted through a randomized lottery draw conducted by the School District office.
- Parents will be notified of the outcome of the lottery, by phone, within one week of the lottery draw. Families will have 24 hours to accept or reject an offered seat. After that time, unclaimed seats will be offered to waitlisted applicants.
- Applicants not offered a space will be placed on a waitlist. The lottery also will determine the order of the waiting list. Parents will be notified of their place on the waitlist at the time they are notified that their child did not receive a space in the program.
- Those put on the waitlist must register their child at their catchment school as placement in the program is not guaranteed.