The Cowichan Valley School District Board Policy Handbook has been developed to highlight and support the very important governance function of the Board of Education. In addition to clearly defining the role of the Board, the role of the Superintendent and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Superintendent, it includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities within the district;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as policy-making and school closures; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Superintendent.
The Board Policy Handbook is supplemented by an Administrative Procedures Manual, which directs the Superintendent and staff.