Register for September 2017 from January 30 – February 3
Cowichan Valley welcomes new Kindergarten students for the 2017-2018 school year. Any child who will be five years of age on or before December 31, 2017, may register at their neighbourhood school. If you are unsure of your school, please use the school locator.
Parents or guardians, please bring a Canadian Birth Certificate, or Canadian passport and proof of residency. Any students without Canadian documents and/or proof of BC residency will be redirected to the Principal of International Education located at Cowichan Secondary School.
- Kindergarten registrations will be accepted from families living within a school’s catchment area, and from families whose older child(ren) will be continuing at the school with out-of-area approval.
- Any family wishing to register their child in a different school may apply to do so using an out-of-attendance area request form available at the school. As per District Policy #3309, first preference for registrations will be given to those children who reside in the school catchment. For more details see our website at sd79.bc.ca.
- Parents with questions about a full day kindergarten program should speak to the principal about their child’s needs.
- New Honeymoon Bay, Mesachie Lake and Youbou families register at Palsson.
- New Thetis Island families register at Chemainus Elementary Community School.
- French Immersion is offered at Ecole Mt Prevost Elementary School and Ecole Cobble Hill Elementary School. If required, a district-supervised lottery will select applicants for the available program space.
Registration will take place at your neighbourhood school during regular office hours the week of January 30 – February 3, 2017.
Welcome to Kindergarten
French Immersion Kindergarten Registration Process
French Immersion is a District program with no specific catchment areas. It is offered at Ecole Mt. Prevost and Ecole Cobble Hill Elementary Schools.
If requested spaces for French Immersion elementary schools are over-subscribed, placement will be determined by lottery.
A lottery system will be used in accordance with the district’s selection process set out below. Families will find out within a week of the lottery where they sit on a list for entrance in September.
Assignment will be based on the following:
- Priority is granted to students who have an older brother or sister residing at the same address that attends the same school and is eligible to return in the next school year.
- Any remaining spaces will be assigned on a lottery basis to those in-district applicants who have submitted complete applications during the registration period.
- In-district students, who miss the registration dates, may still apply to the program, but will be placed at the end of the waitlist.
- Students who move into the district after the selection process is complete may still apply to the program, but will be placed at the end of the waitlist.
How does the lottery system work?
- Kindergarten registration process opens
- Parents are asked to register at the French Immersion School they wish their child to attend.
- Parents must register their child at their neighborhood school as well as apply for the French Immersion program, as placement in the program is not guaranteed.
- Registration for French Immersion program closes for all new registrants, including siblings of current students. Late applicants will be wait-listed.
February 6 -9:
- Available spaces will be allotted through a randomized draw conducted by the School District office.
- Parents will be notified of the outcome of the lottery, by phone, within one week of the lottery draw. Families will have 24 hours to accept or reject an offered seat. After that time, unclaimed seats will be offered to waitlisted applicants.
- Applicants not offered a space will be placed on a waitlist. The lottery also will determine the order of the waiting list. Parents will be notified of their place on the waitlist at the time they are notified that their child did not receive a space in the program.