Board/Authority Authorized (BAA) courses are developed to help meet local community needs while providing choice and flexibility for students. Each secondary school offers a variety of board authorized courses that provide unique opportunities for students to explore particular subject areas in greater depth.
Process for submitting a new BAA proposal:
- Review the Ministry of Education’s BAA Requirements & Procedures guide
- Determine the appropriate course grouping using the Core Course Categories guide
- Consult with your school administration
- Download the revised BAA Template
- Consult with the Curriculum and Indigenous Education Coordinators.
- Submit the completed BAA application to your school administrator for review.
- Upon approval, your administrator will submit your BAA application to the Associate Superintendent.
- The final application will be reviewed before it goes to the board.
For a new BAA course to be approved, a teacher will need to demonstrate how the course differs from currently available options under the new curriculum. There should be minimal curricular overlap between a BAA course and a standard BC curriculum course.
The deadline for submitting a new BAA proposal is March 3 prior to the September start in order to allow for processing and inclusion in course catalogues.
For ideas and examples of BAA courses offered in other districts in the province, a searchable BAA Sharing Platform can be found here: https://archived.bcerac.ca/services/baa/search.aspx.